Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Ignorant

I am not the smartest person in the world. I would guess that those reading this are not either. We all muddle through life not knowing a lot of things. For example I have no idea how the toaster knows when my toast is done. It is like magic.

There are things that I do know, very well. I know how to train a runner to attain a certain goal, for example. I have a 4 year Masters in Divinity that says I know something of the Bible and theology. I have 18 years experience teaching these subjects. I think it is safe to say, even though I am not claiming to be the leading expert, I have some knowledge and expertise in them. So I am perplexed when folks speak to me like I am an idiot when it comes to these subjects.

Why am I writing this? Because sometimes it just needs to be said. Are there people out there who are smarter than me on these subjects? Absolutely. I read and listen to these teachers and scholars and learn from them. But, they are not the ones who comment on my posts. They are not the ones writing barely literate posts in regards to the Bible and theology. They are not the ones who can barely put two and two together to make a point.

Ignorance is not a virtue. I am baffled by today's culture that so disdains people who are educated. When did becoming educated indicate someone to distrust? Or worse someone who is trying to undermine our "way of life?"

It took someone who was educated to teach us that eating with dirty hands leads to disease. Before that our "way of life" lead to outbreaks of disease that killed thousands.

Now, being ignorant in theology and what is in the Bible may not seem very important. But, it is the ignorant and those who manipulate the ignorant on religious grounds that lead us into horrible wars, deny women basic rights, take away freedoms, dictate what is taught in our schools, lead some to do violence in the name of righteousness, and separate the 'good' from the 'bad.'

If you think that what I just wrote has only to do with historically deplorable people, you are not understanding what I just described.

What I just described is happening in our own country. There are many religiously ignorant groups in our country clamoring for a war against Islam. There are many religiously ignorant people who want to deny women their rights for basic health care. There are many religiously ignorant people who want to curb the ability for certain people to a life long committed relationship. There are many religiously ignorant people who want our curriculum to teach only 'authorized' histories and equate theology to hard science. There are many religiously ignorant people who think bombing abortion clinics and shooting doctors who provide women basic health care a God directed act. And if you listen long enough to these religiously ignorant people, you know who is in and who is out.

So, please do not respond to my posts unless you are willing to have a conversation, do some research, and spend time writing something coherent. I take the Bible seriously. I read from it every day. I spend time with Hebrew and Greek texts to understand better what God is trying to teach us. I take theology seriously. I believe that how we talk about God is very important to how we live in this world. I believe that God sent his only Son to this world not to condemn but to save it. I pray every day for people who desperately need healing of all kinds and for a world that seems destined to destruction. More importantly God is acting in this world as we speak, bringing healing and hope. I desire only to be a small part of God's work in what I do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting that you posted this today. I was listening to Piers Morgan having a very civil conversation with Rick Warren about legalizing gay marriage. I can't find the full transcript or video.

Piers made the point of selective application of issues from the old testement (a lot of issues were punishable by death, but the Religous Right aren't pushing to apply those these days).

Rick went on to say that there are 3 types laws in the bible and that the one he goes by is the ones described in the 10 Commandments. I thought it was very profound and wished more people could simplify their lives. Rick then went on to say because of his belief that the 10 Commandments are the laws from the bible that he applies, gay marriage should be illegal. This got me thinking, which of the 10 Commamndments is he applying to gay marriage? I hadn't heard this line of thinking before and wondered if anyone else had and can explain applying the 10 Commandments to gay marriage in more detail.

Taking Rick's thinking further: If anything, the laws that should be getting passed are that you can't remarry unless your 1st spouse unfortunately dies. I don't see a lot of people pushing for that law or it passing anytime soon in this country. I think it would be a very dangerous law because killing your spouse or ex-spouse would become more common place.

I have really enjoyed watching CNN lately. I can't watch FOX or even MSNBC anymore. Both are way to biased and they don't have thoughtful discussions. Colbert Report is another thought provoking show. I believe this country needs to have more of the types of conversations that Piers and Rick had to start understanding each other and the issues better.

Dan Vollmer

Rev. Tor Berg said...

Rick makes things up. I have never heard of "three types of laws" and certainly not that the Ten Commandments as a set alone. There are two uses of the law - showing our sins and civil.

There is nothing in the Ten that is about homosexuality unless you stretch the "honor your mother and father."

Rick is a fairly reasonable man, but still thinks he is the only credible interpreter of scripture. I have yet to see him say "I am wrong."

No, there is nothing in scripture that out rightly bans same sex marriage - especially a life long commitment. Almost all of the texts have to do with prostitution or promiscuity - and I find it interesting that no one wants to talk about those two things very much.

Anonymous said...

I am not a religious person. I love with all my heart the days I have had... both good and bad. Each bad event makes me enjoy the next good event more deeply. Each word of hate I hear (and if I am honest... and say) makes me better appreciate a word of love all the more.

Too many people spend too much time vested in other peoples experiences rather than looking to God within.

These same people will eventually find me and work to change my view of life simply because I opened my comments here with "I am not a religious person". That is how hard sour people use a book... any book... to divide rather than join people and nations.

Ultimately, if your not like me, we apparently can't talk.

But I am listening... and I don't need a book to tell me what your saying is right or wrong and what your doing is good or bad.

So SPEAK TO ME. Don't recite. Let's talk from the heart and love one another.