Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Two uses of the Law


One of the more important theological statements for Lutherans is the Doctrine of the Two uses of the Law (There is no third use! I chose this reading because it shows how convoluted theologians can get trying to explain this so called third use). It from this doctrine that we come to more fully realize who we are to God and how we are to be in the world.

First use of the law: Theological - to show us our sins, to remind of us of how we fall short of righteousness. It drives us to the cross, as Luther teaches.
We cannot fully satisfy the law. 
For "no human being will be justified in his sight" by deeds prescribed by the law, for through the law comes the knowledge of sin. (Rom 3:20) Therefore, Christ died for us because of this knowledge, that we fall short of the glory of God.  I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. (Rom 7:15-17)
Second use of the law: Civil/Political - to teach and guide us in how we are to attempt to behave in the world.

So the Ten Commandments on other laws help us to define what it means to live in community and what we need to do to ensure the protection of the individual and the health of the whole. 
If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. (Rom 12:18)
We never climb out of under either of the uses of the law. We are continually reminded of how horrible we are and why we need Christ, and we are so selfish that we need to be taught over and over how one ought to behave.


This doctrine helps me so much in my faith walk. It drives me to my knees and it drives me to benefit my neighbor. It opens me to the workings of Christ and it opens my eyes to the truth of this world.

No comments: