Thursday, August 29, 2019

Vision 2025: Hospitality


One of the big aspects of this congregation’s Vision 2025 plan is pursuing and expanding what it means to be a place and a people of hospitality. Hospitality, hospice, hostel, hotel, and hospital share the same Latin root word “hospes” meaning guest or stranger. All of these words are directional words of action toward the stranger.
There is no way for a congregation that claims the way of hospitality to reject the plight of the stranger. It is this core conviction of the ELCA that drove our decision to claim ourselves as a SANCTUARY denomination. To continue our work in the Latin, sanctuary is broken down into sanctus/sacred and arium/container and therefore is a place where cherished people are kept safe. Jesus showed us that we are to be about this work of welcoming the stranger through his actions and through his teaching:
for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.' (Mat 25:35-36)
The ELCA’s call to be sanctuary denomination is not a call to break the law. Nowhere in this declaration are we asked to do anything illegal. This is a lie told by those who want us to buy into the notion that we are to hate those who are different then us.
This congregation’s actions of hospitality in this regard has already embraced what the statement declares, walking alongside immigrants and refugees is a matter of faith. We will have journey classes in the fall that will introduce us to the work of Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services and Lutheran Community Services Northwest. I will also be teaching a series of classes Sunday morning on the many actions taken at this years national assembly. Please attend these classes.
I am proud of our congregation and our denomination for the solid statement we make about how we are to love our neighbor. I am proud that through our covenantal relationship with Jesus Christ we follow Martin Luther’s example to advocate for those who have no voice and no power. We are a people of hospitality!
If you have more questions about what it means to be sanctuary denomination please follow the links below.
Being a sanctuary denomination.
Vision 2025 document.

No comments: