Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Think About These Things

Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Philippians 4:8

In June of 2010 I walked through the front doors of First Lutheran Church as her pastor. I left a call of 12 years to accept the call to serve this ancient community of saints – founded in 1886. What I expected to happen in this place, I no longer recall. Whatever it was, it never could have imagined what has transpired these ten years.


At my installation service I invited to important saints to this community to witness the handing of the servant-hood to me, Pastor Kris Frosig and Pastor Henry Erickson.  They are both now singing with the angels but their friendship and mentor-ship I carry with me to this day. And the words above the Apostle Paul wrote to the faithful in Philippi ring in my ears as if spoken to me by these two faithful servants.

As we continue during this peculiar time these words also hold us to account. Our siblings of African descent are crying out to us to end the social and political systems that are killing them. As are our LGBTQI++ siblings, as are so many other marginalized people. The Covid-19 virus is laying bare many of our unjust systems.

This is no political position that I am advocating here. This is the very words of scripture that call us to account:
Thus says the LORD of hosts: Render true judgments, show kindness and mercy to one another; do not oppress the widow, the orphan, the alien, or the poor; and do not devise evil in your hearts against one another. Zechariah 7:9-10  
For the LORD your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who is not partial and takes no bribe, who executes justice for the orphan and the widow, and who loves the strangers, providing them food and clothing. You shall also love the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt. Deuteronomy 10:17-19  
He sat down opposite the treasury, and watched the crowd putting money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums.  A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which are worth a penny. Then he called his disciples and said to them, "Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury. For all of them have contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on." Mark 12:41-44

I could quote more, but there just is not room here. This is our call as people of faith to honor our ancestors and those who passed on this faith to us, to continue to fight for the marginalized and the oppressed.

So, siblings in the faith, my beloved, do what is good, speak for what is right, and love all those who are unloved.

No comments: