Wednesday, February 22, 2023

The Purple of Lent

 The Jewish faith community observes a time of repentance between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur called Teshuva. The Muslim community observes Ramadan, a time to reorient their faith through fasting, reading the Koran and tithing to the poor. For the Christian these same pursuits are done during the season we call Lent. We, it seams, are aware of our tendencies to forget the poor, turn our back on God's work in our mist, and taking care of creation.

The beginning of my Lenten journey is beginning in bed, with Covid. I tested Ash Wednesday morning, six days after my first positive test. I did not need to wait fifteen minutes for the test to immediately affirm that I am still positive. For me, as your pastor, it is a nightmare. This is the season, in many ways, I am on my "A" game. I know the themes, the messages and the purpose of this time. From Ashes to resurrection, from pain to healing, from guilt to forgiveness, I got this. Except, here I sit in bed, tapping on my computer wondering if I need yet another nap.

I am filled with all kinds of emotions and frustrations. 

The human condition seems to sit right here: between the ideal and reality. Ideally we all should be living fully into this religious season with our plans for fasting, giving alms to the poor, and recommitting ourselves to prayer and scripture reading. The reality is being caught up in this messy, muddy, virus filled life.

Oh, God what are we to do?

I shared the following Bible verse with council at our last meeting: Listen! I am sanding at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me. (Rev. 3:29)

I complicate things. I over think them. I tend to expect too much. In the end, I believe God is telling us, that Teshuva, Ramadan, and Lent, are times to get back to the simple things. Eating just enough, making sure others have enough, and listening for God at the door.

The purple of Lent, maybe just the dawn of a new day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like what you write. Your words center me. Thank you. I hope you are past the covid and onto full recovery.