Monday, July 30, 2012

That's Not True

One of my favorite apps for my iPhone 4s, which by the way does not seem all that better than my old regular iPhone 4, is the Constitution of the United States. Why you might ask? Well because it is fun to quote from it to brain dead morons who are too lazy to look it up for themselves. These are the same people who say, "the bible teaches that we need to pull ourselves up by our own bootstraps." Which of course it doesn't in any way, shape, or form. 


Joshua Kennon, in his blog on business, politics and life, refers to one of my favorite amendments to the constitution. The Ninth Amendment reads, "The enumeration in the constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." Why is this one of my favorites? Because it reminds us that "just because it is not in the constitution..." is a stupid statement, just like "God loves those who love themselves" is dumb. We have rights whether they are listed in the constitution or not and God loves the whole creation, especially those who find it hard to love themselves.


Why am I being so forceful in my judgments? Because I am tired of hearing people use ignorant statements as facts. I am tired of those who yell the loudest being the only ones heard. It is just frustrating to hear ignorant people given podiums on the national stage spouting such nonsense without anyone challenging them just as loudly.


I know this is my second post on such a topic. And I am sure I will post again.


The following statements are not in the Bible either:

Money is the root of all evil. - American Religion
Moderation in all things. - Aristotle
Once saved, always saved - American Religion
To thine ownself be true - the play Hamlet
God helps those who help themselves. - Aesop
This, too, shall pass. - the poem Deor
God moves in mysterious ways. - William Cowper


There are others, but you get the idea. Please look it up!

No comments: