Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Endurance


The pain of mental illness cannot be prayed away nor medicated into submission. It is endured, like cancer. The survivors have stories to tell and they should; so that those who do not survive will not be forgotten. There is hope in survival. The hope is that we learn to live into the moment so fully that our future is not something to be feared but received as gift and our past is left where it belongs. Give thanks for prayer and medication that help us endure. Through prayer we gain confidence. Through medication we gain freedom. With both we endure.
Tor Kristian Berg ©2013

3 comments:

Nobody's Child said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nobody's Child said...

One of the hardest pieces of the puzzle is recognition. And acceptance. It's really hard to imagine that your child/spouse/sibling is intent on causing irreparable harm to him/herself, often until it's too late. Depression can look like many things. Is it normal teenage angst? Or is it deeper? Is the midlife crisis real? We make jokes about that all the time, but for some people, it's deadly serious. It's so hard to tell!!
Crisis Clinic of King County is an excellent resource, for suicide prevention & education including signs/symptoms and also resources like their crisis hotline when you need immediate help. The suicide survivor (family members & friends) support groups are wonderful. I strongly encourage everyone to please visit this important website.

Grace Horstmsnn said...

For me mental illness is something I manage with the help of my team. and my faith. And I could not do it without them. First is my psychiatrist and my psychologist, both new to me. My primary doctor is important because of effects of illness. I also have a nephrologist. My pastor says to call them my team and he is part of that team.

My friends at church and water aerobics are also very important. Even my dog is very important to my well being.

And you Tor, even though we are no longer in contsct,help me through situations as I remember talking to you